As you well know, one of our responsibilities as a leader is to create expectations for our team members. Failure to do so may cause a number of issues and consequences. However, I have a challenge for you, how about role reversal? That is, “what do your people expect from you?” They may not express to you outright, but the following are what I have learned people expect from their leader:
- To communicate openly, honestly, and frequently
- To be predictable and consistent
- To have a plan for their growth
- To exhibit self-confidence balanced with humility
- To encourage them (remember, you need to be the Chief Encouragement Officer:CEO)
- To challenge them
- To let them know how they are doing
- To always praise when appropriate
- To be decisive and fair
- To inform them of change that will affect them
I am sure there are many more expectations our people have, but these are some that come to my mind. I found it helpful from time to time to conduct a self – assessment on how I am doing with each of these. Why not rate yourself on a 1-10 scale, 10 being the max. Then prioritize and take the top 3, put a plan in place to “move the needle.” All the best on your journey of People Development.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.