Over the years, I had the pleasure of having some awesome people on our team.
The other day in a coaching session, I was asked what makes people awesome. The context of the question was in a discussion of attracting winners, let’s call them awesome people. As I reflected on the question, I want to share with you what I shared with him. As I think about some individuals I have had the privilege to work with, here is what I have learned about them.
- Awesome people are looking for a stimulating environment where they can grow, develop skills, and be part of a thriving organization
- Awesome people are looking for more than just a salary; they want to be part of something bigger that is making an impact
- Awesome people want an opportunity to take charge of their destination
- Awesome people want clear expectations from their leader
- Awesome people want to know where the company is headed, why, and how
- Awesome people want to know where they fit in the big picture and vision
- Awesome people are not afraid of being held accountable
I have learned that these folks are often motivated by more than money. A motive in today’s environment is the opportunity to make a difference, make an impact, and “I want to know my work matters” mindset.
Just a reminder, you are responsible for attracting and recruiting people, please keep in mind what the awesome people are looking for. They are out there: let’s go get them.