As you well know, your one-to-one coaching is an opportunity to change behavior and yield positive results. I have found that my preparation for these coaching sessions is critical. Remember, our intention is always to help our team members increase productivity.
I suggest taking a few minutes prior to each session to prepare by doing the following:
- Review previous coaching sessions. Get a feel for where the person is: strengths, and areas of improvement.
- Write down open ended questions. Use active inquiry and active listening. When executed properly your team will experience discovery learning.
- Visualize your team performing on the level you want them to do so.
Three factors that influence people’s productivity:
- To the degree that you sincerely believe that they can achieve higher performance
- To the degree that they believe that you believe in them
- To the degree that there is trust, mutual respect, and rapport between you and them
This quote by Ashley Montagu sums the coaching/teaching model, “In teaching, it is the method and not the content that is the message, the drawing it out, not pumping it in.”
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.